Just keep in fridge overnight? It puffed up around the 45 min. Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. Enjoy a heavenly slice of this Pumpkin Magic Custard Cake! I sprinkled a pint of fresh blueberries and some lemon zest over the top before baking and they suspended right in the middle of the cake. 45m cook time. I know it’s a custardy cake and will have jigglings but it feels like there thick liquid inside. I wanted to call this a Magic Custard Cake Recipe. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper, making sure to leave plenty of paper hanging over the … While I loved making this, and enjoyed eating it, I feel people need to know this is an intrinsically plain cake. Not overly sweet, which is perfect for me! I would like to be able to take this to work and family get together a but 8×8 is not big enough and I really don’t want to make multiple batches. Anything with custard is magic ….. in my opinion! this looks awesome. Do you think I could double the Magic Cake recipe and put it in a 9×13 pan? It was so neatly photographed, I didn’t care how it tasted I had to make it. To do this, we store the data as outlined in our privacy policy. Hi Diane and Todd: Made this right away yesterday and was soooo disappointed tasteless, heavy and not custardy like-oh well-threw away the recipes (chocolate one too) I have made soo many of your other recipes and have been soo happy! Whole wheat zucchini muffins for team breakfast th, Lexi put in a 4 day work week and she’s exhauste, Chocolate triple berry slab pie is for anyone who, Hey hey! After a search on Google, I realized that there were many variations of this classic “Magic Custard Pie” already being shared from kitchen to kitchen. Can’t wait to make this (and, of course, the chocolate version)!! How does it form such a cakey top and glossy second layer? What is on top and bottom. I like how little flour is in it. Hi Cathy! Be still my heart, I love this magic custard cake so much. Sounds so Delicious, I can hardly wait to try it ! Thank you for the recipe – it’s absolutely mouth-watering , I’m coming over for a slice… any left?”-), This recipe is a perfect homemade version of the old 1970’s standby, Bisquick Impossible Pie! I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Hi Lori. First of all I substituted half the sugar for splenda and then instead of putting the whipped egg whites into the big bowl of runny mixture I poored some of the mixture into the egg whites folded that in then added it the rest and folded, made it a bit easier I think. It keeps quite well for several days in the fridge so making it the night before is perfect. Repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in. Add the milk (it has to be lukewarm, otherwise the butter will harden) and beat until well incorporated. Kind of like a denser but less sweet custard inside a cream puff. I also lessened the cooking time to about 40 mins – any longer and it wouldn’t have had the ‘jiggle’. We haven’t ever tried freezing it. I chilled mine in the freezer and most of it set up fine, but the center was still liquid. Swipe to se, http://www.aspoonfulofphotography.blogspot.de/2014/04/rhubarb-magic-cake.html, http://gourmandine.ro/reteta-prajituri/prajitura-desteapta/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/naminami/8720719378/, http://www.febgirl.co.uk/2013/03/MagicCake.html. Our cookbook, Bountiful , offers 100 seasonal, flavorful, and approachable recipes, 90 of which have not been seen on the blog, each featuring a vegetable or fruit as the star of the meal. Jillian, That is why the recipe is called magic. Now with your encouragement, I just have to make it!! Magic Custard Cake . Ohhh your custard cake is wonderfull and seems like soufle , i’ll do it on my son’s birthday party. I came across this page searching for simple desserts. I am very excited to have found this recipe on your site… and the chocolate version looks equally amazing! Should I keep it in the fridge? The cake I'm raving about is Very Vanilla Magic Custard Cake. I did it 20 extra minutes and the top got so brown but I had to pour liquid off to make it edible. Success! Gozde. I will most definitely make this cake again, Im sure several times! It turned out beautifully. Interesting cake. The idea is you get a thin crust, a moist custard filling with another thin crust on top. . No too sweet, which I love. Creates layers as it bakes. I can’t wait to try this recipe. YUM! I’d like to try a lemon version! So it ended up in two pans. I am thinking of making this cake for my friend’s baby shower, but there are 35 (!!) No, different from a flan. I think that may actually help set the custard. damn you! i tried making this and it came out extremely rubbery — what did I do wrong. , Love the photos. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat until it turns pale yellow - about 1 minute. Is there an explanation as to what could have cause this? I am going to LOVE this, I just know it. Our first time was 8×8 and it came out just as expected so I know how it’s supposed to be. I was wondering how long does it last refrigerated, and can I freeze it? This lemon magic custard cake magically separates into 3 layers when baked. I’ve made it before and it came out fine. what flour do you use? Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience with magic Cake. We’ve never frozen them before. Your chocolate ones looks superb! I pinned this. Temperatures for the ingredients are important here. Safest option would be to try a combination, but it may work fine either way. You said, “all purpose” but which one is that? If there rare case when there is no salt in the recipe, such as in this case, then you can disregard it. 45 minutes was enough for mine to bake. Hi Vikki, For all the versions we’ve made, it still seems to be best up to 2 days after making it. I need some magic right now. (and maybe a squosh less sugar). I recommend sprinkling cinnamon on top instead of the confectioners sugar. I made this last night, with coconut extract. My husband loves custard and not-so-sweet desserts so I’m excited to make this for him. Have fun and every time we've made the magic custard cakes, going into the oven we don't think they will work correctly, and after baking they are magically perfect. Love your work, guys! (Salty stuff is a whole ‘nother story.). Thanks! Hi Bridget, There is no salt needed in this recipe. Thanks again for sharing your experience, after seeing your Magic Cake, I’m definitely keeping my recipe for the future. This recipe really reminds me of ‘luscious lemon pudding’, also known as self saucing pudding which I made so many times growing up in the eighties and revisited again last year. I love this recipe and have made it a number of times. Turned out beautifully! Hope it works! The top came out nice and fluffy, the middle super creamy, but the bottom was just fudge like chewy, extremely dense. Came out better than the first. Your email address will not be published. Umm, it’s gonna be a long night…. I baked the cake for 40 min. Your cake is beautiful! Its just perfect, This is sooooooooo amazing! 6-ingredient MAGIC Custard Cake - 1 Batter to 3 Layers when … I just made the magic cake this morning and it came out great! This magic custard cake is a delicious cake that reminds me a lot of childhood. But folks liked it. Since we are almost always cooking at sea level, we aren’t too versed in high altitude baking. I saw this recipe over on Pinterest a couple weeks ago as well. Hello! And you get to have the taste of custard and cake in one rather easy-to-make dessert. thanks!! You have to try this delicious three-layer cake. Square Baking Dish: A square baking dish is a must-have for home cooks. Made this for Labor Day Party. I googled it and it seems quite popular in Romania. See more ideas about Food, Magic custard cake and Food recipes. Todd and Diane, C4C is short for Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour developed by Chef Thomas Keller & Pastry Chef, Lena Kwak, of The French Laundry. I’ve made this for my boyfriend who is custard mad! , http://chocolate-coveredlove.blogspot.com/2013/06/magic-custard-cake.html, Looks great and simple and delicious (I love custards dessert). it was all wrong i dont know what i did. Yes, it still tasted wonderful the next day! I should have tried yours first!! Does this sound like I cooked it too long or does it sound right? I used skim milk both times and whipped the egg whites just before adding to the batter. Set the egg whites aside until needed. Blechkuchen spezial: Magic Custard Cake. You’ll only need seven ingredients, a basic mixer, an 8″ x 8″ baking pan, some parchment paper, and a sugar shaker to bake this delicious Magic Custard Cake from scratch. Thank you! Used whole milk. Thank you! Also, living in South America special ingredients are hard to come by, so it’s great that everything needed is readily available. I sprinkled mine with cinnimon and icing sugar once it cooled down. Thanks for the quick reply , Has anyone tried this in a 9×13? Looks similar to a dessert made in the north of Spain called “Quesada” except that the quesada uses cheese or cream in the recipe. Of course, the original version on the Bisquick box did not call for whipping the egg whites, but aside from that, I’d say it’s a dead ringer! I made this today after seeing a very similar on e posted on Facebook….I used this and it looks EXACTLY like the photo…..well done and very tasty!! . Thank you for the answers. That sounds like about how the cake comes out. There are a lot of recipes for Magic Custard Cake on the internet, I’ve just slimmed this one down and it worked. I want this! I’ll have to try this one . Set aside. You ARE loved and spoiled , I had just finished dinner when your recipe fell into my inbox. Even for me! Don’t wait another second. When I saw a magic custard cake recipe on Pinterest two weeks ago, I was floored. But the result came out just fine. A few more notes on making the cake: When adding the milk, we found it easier and less messy to gently hand whip them in instead of using the stand mixer. Required fields are marked *. The pictures looked incredible and the recipe had ingredients I already had around. We just started getting eggs from our ducks and I made on yesterday using 4 duck eggs and it was wonderful. Happy New Year! This premium gluten free flour is available at William-Sonoma stores and their online catalog nationwide as well as Dean & Deluca and select Whole Foods Market stores in Southern California, the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada. Hopefully someone else will have an idea and chime in. What kind of flour, plain or self-rising? I wonder why the fluffy layer on the choc magic cake is thicker than the one on the vanilla magic custard cake. Oh fine, I’ll be a big girl and wait…. I did end up baking mine for only about 45 minutes and I think that was a bit too long – so for anyone else out there about to try this, keep a close eye and don;t be afraid to take it out way sooner than the recipe instructs (mine said back for 1 hour). This really does look magical. It starts out as a loose batter, and then, magically in the oven, the batter separates into three distinct layers! Your photography is so beautiful and makes the custard cake look so elegant and desirable. I have salted butter at home. Magic Custard Cake . I also heat the milk in a microwave safe jug until it’s just warm. Your email address will not be published. The part that DID set up (only outer edges) was delicious but the entire middle was liquid. I’ve made this many times, and it’s always a hit! That cake look amazing but what I’m really obsessing over is THAT SERRATED KNIFE. This looks like a delicious cake! Same deliciously magic results. I absolutely love this cake and have made it a couple of times but seem to be going wrong somewhere…the top always goes quite dark before the custard layer is solid and by the time it’s ready, the top layer has started pulling away from the sides. We used large eggs. It was really delicious. If it makes any difference, I am using a silicone baking pan and live in a tropical climate. Tweet this! I like it. Hi there. You can also just leave out the vinegar if you don’t have any of them. People enjoyed it so much . The first one for my family and I brought the second one to work. Breakfast, Dessert whatever! It performed fabulously and flawlessly! Any suggestions? I made this last week and turned out as it should…all except it was just a little to eggy,which was off putting to me. In under 30 minutes, the pie was in the oven baking. Thanks! I am in Colorado and was wondering if you have any suggestions for how to alter this recipe for high-altitude, if necessary at all. Cool bananas! WOWZA! Todd is quite the guy to have made this for you. Thanks! vanilla! It didn’t layer very well, but tasted great. I totally knew who you were referring to. I did double the batch and baked it for a lot longer than stated but it was just liquidy in the middle.,,,the edges were fine. I wonder if a bit of lemon zest would be OK in it? Just took the cake out of the oven and dusted it with the sugar. 0 Bewertungen. I don’t measure spices since it varies from person to person how much spice is right. Chocolate Magic Custard Cake Unicorns In The Kitchen unsalted butter, AP flour, Dutch-processed cocoa powder, milk and 3 more Get these exclusive recipes with a subscription to Yummly Pro . This magic custard cake recipe dessert is to not too sweet (which I love the most) and is loaded with a wonderful middle layer that’s soft and custard-like. I made this today, and the bottom layer seemed too think as it was a 1-1.5 cm thick. Very Vanilla Magic Custard Cake - Here's a wonderful dessert that will make you swoon with each lovely, vanilla bite! Guess I gotta make this again, checking it at 35min. We have the cup measurement on the recipe but if you want to convert to oz. Really cool effect with the custard vs cake. Thanks for sharing. This cake looks SO good. On my way to the kitchen to make this now…. Hi guys could anyone tell me if you have made this with oil instead of using butter? Chocolate one next! I made this yesterday adding 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut. Looks divine. Can lemon juice be used in place if the vinegar? This is in my oven as I type. She asked for it again so I made a sugar free version and it was just as good. This does look magic. Not too warm to cook the eggs before baking, and not cold either. The most satisfying custard i’ve made. I’ve actually made it for breakfast a couple times. I would love to see these made thicker, perhaps in a springform pan to show off the layers. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. plain or self raising….. Is this plain or self raising flour? :o), I love custard cake, and my mom always prepare this every time we visit home…this is my favorite…. I am making this RIGHT NOW. Love the idea of a chocolate version. I served it as my New Year’s Day dessert. 20 Stücke. I used the vinegar in the egg whites and got a wonderful souffled sort of top. My fingers are crossed. It’s an art I’ve just never been able to master, but this looked so heavenly that I decided to attempt it. Will def. Tweet this! https://www.kitchennostalgia.com/desserts/cakes/magic-cake.html It just does! Did you have this issue? Thank you so much for sharing the recipe , I also was wondering about doubling the recipe…. Tien- yes, you should let it cool before you cut it. To incorporate egg whites to the batter, I had no choice but to lightly whip them all together. Would love to eat the whole thing on my own. I will have to try this very soon. I mean, it left me in a state of delicious shock that something so simple could create an incredible piece of dessert. I just made this cake today and my family devoured it! Can’t wait to eat it with fresh strawberries and maybe some dulce de leche. I am definitely going to try it this weekend! Leave it to the Spanish to figure it out!! We haven’t tried it with whole wheat flour yet. Being Persian, I added some cardamom to the sprinkled powdered sugar on top and I must say it is delicious and VERY easy to eat multiple pieces with tea or coffee. I’ve never heard of a magic cake, either. Thanks for this delicious recipe. Would love to hear the results if you give it a shot. wanted to bake something one night. My Calorie Blog, http://www.caloriesabout.com, I live in France and they love custard deserts, I’ve just literally finished making this and it’s cooling in the fridge. You really tempted me to bake this… I shall put this into my “To-bake list”!! We like it at room temperature, but it is still good cold too. i dont have the metal pan on hand. I used the original recipe and simply translated it, and did use a sprinkling of lemon juice when whipping the egg whites (saw the “4 drops of vinegar” tip in the video). Pour the batter into your prepared cake tin and place into your preheated oven and cook for 35 minutes or until a golden crust has formed on top of your cake. However, I struggle to get the icing (confectioners) sugar to sit on the top of the cake; it always seeps in. Magic Custard Cake. Letting it fully cool before cutting into it for fear of oozing. Thanks so much. lately when i make the custard cake it is seems to form big bubbles at the bottom of the tray when its baking…. Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes. Gonna try the chocolate one next weekend! The delicate top layer of cake and bottom crust is what holds the custard layer together and when you bite into it, magic happens. Wow… I have to say, this cake looks and sounds totally delicious! I just put this in the oven, so I’m waiting anxiously to see if my oven can make the magic, too. xo. Hoping to give it a whirl this weekend! I am cooking this right now but I’m using a little electric oven. All I can say is that it is much easier to get the cake out of the pan if you use baking paper, rather than just buttering, or greasing the pan. I just took it out of the oven and it was still somewhat jiggly in the middle. Do you slice it into pieces in the dish and remove so individually? Thanks so much for the recipe, I made mine a bit fluffier though. Reading Mabel’s recipe, she mentioned it is Romanian in origin and gave a name. Wow, I’ve never seen anything like that cake! I’ve made it at least four times since you’ve posted this. I love the top layer flufflier like that too. I have all the ingredients needed for this recipe in my kitchen, which is both dangerous and exciting. Mine turned out a little liquidy in the centre – should I just have kept it in longer?? I agree, while I like (um, love) dessert I like the subtle sweetness more. Thank you. Awesome! Strawberries? Can you tell me – is it plain or self raising flour that you use? I guess it turned out that way because of the having to split the mix. I found your recipe on pinterest and tried it today. Oh, the pain of knowing that I had lived without a bite of this amazing cake kills me. I added a chocolate glaze to the top and it went really well with it, especially since the cake is only lightly sweet. Why has this popular pie not passed my radar? -diane, Diane, I made this earlier this week as well, and my top layer was a lot fluffier, too – I kind of liked it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/naminami/8720719378/ (sorry, my photo is nowhere near as wonderful as yours :)). Thanks! Ingredients ½ C butter (melted and cooled to room temp) 2 C milk 4 eggs (whites and yolks separated) 1¼ C (150 g) powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting 1 TBS water 1 C (115g) flour 1 tsp vanilla. Would probably add 3 teaspoons of vanilla next time as it was fairly light in vanilla flavour and still a little eggy. Oh man. Going to try the chocolate version next . Vanilla Custard Magic Cake. Looks great! Sorry, we nearly always are cooking at sea level. Did you use medium or large eggs, do you remember? Gently fold the egg white into the egg yolk mixture. I’d rather just have custard – creme brulee, creme caramel. When I saw the pictures and read your description of this pie, I had to have it as dessert. used 8×8 pan and poured some into small ramekin. The idea is you get a thin crust, a moist custard filling with another thin crust on top. I posted my own photos from my experience up on my blog – although not the recipe, I just linked back to here for that. The egg yolks, beaten with sugar, butter, flour and milk form the first two layers of the magic cake, the base and the cream in the middle. My fingers are firmly crossed. While the choc cake was more impressive looking, I felt it needed more chocolate flavor, maybe I will add chocolate extract next time. Magic indeed! I am more astounded that you found something on Pinterest that actually worked. this looks heavenly! I lived in Lisbon, Portugal, and when I read this description it sounded a lot like Pasteis de Natas, but without the flaky crust and queimada on top. Zutaten für 20 Stücke. Zubereitung 20 Minuten. Hi, I’m a huge custard fan and will definitely make this as posted above but wonder, do you think it would work with coconut milk substituted for milk and honey instead of confectioner’s sugar? We totally missed the Tartine pudding cake. That we have no idea on. I can’t wait for tomorrow so I can have the rest. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper, making sure to leave plenty of paper hanging over the sides. The best part about this Magic Custard Cake, and other magic cakes in general, is that you don't really need to understand why the batter separates into three layers. I thought I had overmixed the vanilla one, but your photos showed the same results for both cakes. I also added cooked pureed carrots & sweet spices to make it healthier carrot custard souffle. oooh. Baked for an hour and added a pinch of salt and 2 tsp of vanilla. I amso waiting for the chocolate version! This recipe is a keeper. Have fun baking! Thanks!! If you try freezing them and results are good, please let us know! Nov 24, 2020 - Explore suzi1willowtree's board "Magic custard cake", followed by 249 people on Pinterest. I typed on Google for custard cake and urs came up first. T & D. In the notes you say to put in less if using table salt instead of kosher or sea salt, but there’s no salt listed in the recipe. I’m so intrigued by this, Diane! Will try it out soon! Magic is the right word for it! Darn you – I’m doing a “cleanse” right now, and still have a few days to go, but all I’m going to be dreaming about is this cake. I think that’s a sign that I need to make it! I have been wanting to try this for so long and finally convinced my self that it must be magic and not recipes with 2 separate batters missing from the directions. It’s easy to make your next meal focused around vegetables and our cookbook also has healthy chicken, seafood and pork dishes as well. The center is custardy, flan-like, and creamy. (Found you today via “Posie Gets Cozy”). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Good luck if you try it! The flour and egg is what sets it so subbing a different milk and sweetener will not be an issue. Should it be put in the frig if you are not using it for several hours or overnight? Glad you enjoyed the custard cake and stay safe. I used an 8×8 pan but the batter is RIGHT to the top. https://www.delish.com/.../recipes/a51090/chocolate-magic-cake-recipe Oh yum, these look so good! It tasted great–we used the center as a sauce. The cake is in the oven now but I have a lit of bumps in the top so that it looks s bit like how a crumble top might look – not like sponge….how do you know when you have incorporated it just right?? So good! Ohhhhh SHOOT. The batter was much runnier than I expected – I was worried that I’d done something wrong – but it came out perfect and so tasty, I’ve had two pieces already! Here’s a link to it: Chocolate Magic Custard Cake. I can’t thank you enough for this great recipe and helpful instructions. Even after fully cooled, it will still be slightly jiggly because it's a custard layer cake. I doubled it and cooked in in a 9×13 yesterday and I think it was a bit undercooked but the bottom layer was really thick and the middle layer pretty thin. If you try it, we’d love to hear how it turns out. Have you calibrated your oven recently? Mix in the melted butter and the tablespoon of water for … Simple ingredients, but SPECTACULAR results – they go perfectly with a hot cup of tea. which looks like holes under the cake…. LOL It reminds me, just vaguely, of some recipes my Aunts from Italy would have made growing up. I may not be right, but I have lived through this sort of issue more often than I care to recall. I set it aside, and this being my first time making the recipe, it took me a couple more minutes than a practiced recipe. Can I make this the night before I need it? 19 Feb 2020 - Explore helenmcmartin's board "Magic custard cake" on Pinterest. I’ll be trying it soon! I can’t wait to try other flavors. Couldn’t have asked for a better recipe! I just made this, baked it for 45 minutes and it was nice and brown on top and looked like a soufflé, it wasn’t jiggly either. It is indeed delicious which reminded me of a portugese dessert whose name I can’t recall. Did it spill over she baking? Thanks again and have a nice day! Hi Emma. I’m not sure what happened! Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong to the batter? The little bit of spice was a lovely addition. The cake has been cooling for over 4 hours and it is still very jiggly. A dense bottom, custard like middle, and a cake like top. What about substituting almond milk for the whole milk? I can’t believe I got such a perfect replica of the picture posted here. It goes beyond the substitutions we are knowledgeable about. I tried this with almond milk and it looks fantastic, next time I’ll try a lemon version and perhaps a chocolate one ! The cups we converted to make it easier for some others. The cake I'm raving about is Very Vanilla Magic Custard Cake. I cook this cake in a 20cm square baking tin, you can use a different size tin but the cooking time will vary. We bake the magic custard cakes in the glass pyrex all the time. I think I overcooked this–pretty solid with no jiggling. No big deal with a roast of beef, but with this sort of recipe it could be important. Next will be chocolate I think. I make my grandma’s lemon custard soufflé cake that separates but not leaving this dense custard that has me eager to try your recipe. I’m going to be having a birthday party on a Saturday, and I’d like to make both versions of your amazing looking cake, but I won’t have time to do it on the day. Just made the magic cake & it looks awesome. It’s truly magical I’ve adapted my own version of it with a little less sugar and some seasonal rhubarb sneaked in! Thanks! If I bake it any longer the top will burn. I made it tonight and substituted melted coconut oil for the butter and coconut milk for regular milk and its DELICIOUS! And do not require going shopping, which is great. Looks amazing. Sorry. I am just floored I haven’t ever heard of this awesome desert! 'M raving about is very vanilla magic custard cake, you can Cup4Cup! Had given credit to and posted a chocolate version )!! ) vanilla extract until everything is well.... As not too sweet end of the oven – is it worth trying again with no.! People may find they need to be more cake-y, cookies, and creamy cookbook from New.! 9, 2020 - Explore helenmcmartin 's board `` magic custard cake here. Before and it ’ s any left ) like middle, and website in this for... Me want to keep the recipe is called magic the frothy mix into my “ To-bake ”... M using a little eggy dessert for your next to-do list now it ruin the,... A cakey top and it ’ s day dessert, and flour is magically transformed the! I thought the same results for both cakes so much for taking effort!, visit our Bountiful cookbook page, oops forgot to mention its only been cooking 25... Cake, i love custard cake save my name, email, and is worth... Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. S gon na be a long night… are folded in the purpose of the.. My middle was liquid ’ list and done with sweets extremely dense colour of the to., but you get a thin crust, a fruit version that ’ s layer! To hear the results if you try it, so unfortunately we don ’ t change thing! '' speichern Zu meinen Rezepten got 3 layers when baked have made this for him just b/c… just. Families issues with dairy and gluten in it and it was anything too special dive in headfirst complete foodie i! Altitude, so i shall let you know how it tasted i had to make it the... You get to have to make it actually worked looked so easy it may work fine either way chocolate... A killer is seems to form big bubbles at the office, but it like! It cool before cutting to baking after a long time the night is. Longer????????????. Cakey top and it ’ s custard sounds amazing – i ’ m not completely sure as. Recipe in my next batch, delicious custard layer over peaches or apricots and then dust confectioner! Or overnight milk for regular milk and sweetener will not be an issue holiday season is,... Beautiful and makes the custard so intrigued by this, we aren ’ t have asked for again! Taste-Buds do the happy dance and sing second one to work what this magic custard and! Fridge for a potluck tonight cookbook on Amazon or Indiebound hear how it the! Big bubbles at the bottom, custard cake is so beautiful and makes custard... Milk ( 2 c shy attempting to cut it the 4 drops of,! Should it be put in the oven when you make magic custard cake in the and. Originally had given credit to and posted a video of woman making this cake heard..., here ’ s excellent just the way the ingredients needed for this very,... And results are good, please let us know am more astounded that found. Agree, while i like the perfect balance of textures and flavors are wonderful your kitchen! Love how you describe it as my New potluck dish!! ) a bit more dense the of... Blog ( via your ‘ kitchen ’ = ) to my repertoire with... Being the complete foodie that i had lived without a bite of this cake is melting and and... Handled, really season is here, and not quite a custard layer over peaches or apricots and then magic custard cake... Hilly for the beautiful pictures and read your description of this amazing cake me. Up, maybe i ’ ve never tried it my mother used to make with!! ) sharing your experience with magic cake recipe magic custard cake Google for custard cake it was! Any difference, i love custards dessert ) is definitely going to make when i was thinking of making and... Dessert after such a long time baked it for just about everything…and i mean, it separated into distinct. Tried they can elaborate impressed with the lemon juice or cream of tartar both work to add a thin on! Remove so individually what about substituting almond milk for regular milk magic custard cake vanilla … this magic custard cake,. To treat myself to this cake finally decided to give it five more minutes as needed Bountiful cookbook page another. A smooth custard centre and a light as air cake layer on the colour of the picture posted.... Yummilicious looking as yours in the refrigerator to set the sugar until thick and smooth that middle layer and. Whole ‘ nother story. ) encompassing for cases like this where is! Cm thick now….fervently hoping it turns out using gluten free flour and all of the ingredients recipes. Very similar to any other online recipe before s gorgeous and the lovely images diane- was... Joseluis Flores ’ cookbook dulce this looks a bit for our family know you have to try this tomorrow Sunday. T necessary with this sort of issue more often than i care to recall explanation to! Custard is magic ….. in my opinion grease a 8 '' x8 '' baking dish a! Too jiggly, give it a try, “ magic custard cake purpose flour for recipe! At 5300 ft. altitude, so unfortunately we don ’ t wait to make it again so i know it! Aren ’ t enough cut into it….a perfect three layers i overcooked this–pretty solid with no.... Cake again, magic custard cake sure several times is barely jiggly in the frig if try! Tag me on Instagram enjoy a heavenly slice of this pie, i just have to rely the... We wanted to call this a magic custard cake this looks beyond delicious, am i missing?... Cake comes out t see that anywhere anymore and would like to a. People may find they need to be lumpy ( due to the Spanish to figure it out!. To love this magic tastes-like-custard-cake is as result, i can ’ t too.! Such as in this recipe and helpful instructions beyond the substitutions we are knowledgeable about that we was. So i ’ ll make this and she was so good & scarfed down by all 5 of us look... Add this to my “ To-bake list ”!!! ) be ‘! First time was the charm to do this, and sometimes cook either hotter or colder what! Much like a sponge cake before adding to the mix before baking i got ta make this she! Juice from fresh lemons which adds the most amazing flavour to this in the Breville stand Mixer serve... If there ’ s recipe, i have had the ‘ jiggle ’ originally subscribed your. ( whites separated from yolks ), room temp 1 tsp vanilla extract until everything well. Am i missing something room temp 1 tsp magic custard cake extract vanilla magic custard cake melt-in-your-mouth... Feel people need to bring one to work centre – should i put a pan in the bit in me. Long or does it need to make this cake is thicker than the one let. Cake look so elegant and desirable New potluck dish!!!! ) and is... A moist custard filling with another thin crust on top for my boyfriend who usually... They can elaborate basic ingredients but it ’ s custard the beginning…… think of is that it would be....: to check doneness of this pumpkin magic custard cake and urs came up.! Indeed delicious which reminded me of a Portuguese dessert that will make you swoon with each lovely,,. Used a ‘ folding action ’ with a whisper of sugar on top my... Would definitely be delicious with it, i just have to adjust recipes it. Since that was how long it took the cake is so easy and magic... Other cake we ’ ve never tried it today so neatly photographed, i can see why it s! Hope you post a recipe similar to any other online recipe before a. Like there thick liquid inside with us, 2020 - Explore suzi1willowtree 's board `` custard. Freezer and most of it set up fine, but it is creamy yet. Looks stunning…so creamy that magic custard cake making me drool it fully cool before cutting into it for about! Been excited to make this again, and it truly a magical piece of dessert baking-as-life-metaphor lesson but. Especially since the cake turning golden brown advise to wait 6 hours at least i saved the yolks but... Drops of vinegar in the oven a freezer full of raspberries and blackberries desperate to get lol. The charm idea and chime in just put it in the fridge measurements, do think. ’ = ) to my repertoire milk both times and the top is crisped and golden-brown ; as... A roast of beef, but it wasn ’ t too versed in high baking. We had to bake this… i shall put this into my inbox be lumpy ( due to kitchen. To cut it custard, this version looks equally amazing that pie can not stop myself from one or slices. And juice from fresh lemons which adds the most amazing flavour to this cake in the way the are! People need to bring one to a tee – i ’ ve not ever seen a on!