Martinez Cabin. Sonoran Desert National Monument On the CCC Trail. The most common one is Hunter ‘s Trail, which in my opinion is more fun just because of the diversity of the trail as you climb to the top. A visitor center, monument and interpretive signage and trails are located inside the park. The summit rises to 3,374 feet (1,028 m) above mean sea level. Contrary to popular belief, Picacho Peak was never an active volcano. This is a unique trail with cables and handrails placed by the Boy scouts long ago. This trail is well marked and located between the Tucson and Phoenix areas. Picacho Peak is a large lava flow. Activities Distance: 4 miles Season: Year-round Water: No Trail Conditions: Excellent This is a favorite out-and-back hike for Santa Fe locals. Picacho Peak State Park is an easy day trip off Interstate 10 from accommodations in Tucson (44 miles) and Phoenix (75 miles). The Mountain features spectacular views of the New Mexico and Las Cruces landscape in every direction. Picacho Peak State Park has signage that states no children under 10 for Hunter's Trail, but I did see some children on the trail. It ascends just to the left of a bouldery gully on a steep slope to a saddle just southwest of Picacho Peak. Picacho Peak's incredible cliffs inched closer as we continued through the wash. A bit under a mile into the hike, a social trail leaves the main wash and follows a ridge, heading generally northwest. The Outbound Mind 625 views. Picacho Peak was the first Arizona State Park we have stayed in so far. It calls for a fair amount of scrambling and maneuvering with cables along steep ledges and gains elevation pretty quickly. It is 3.1 miles and circles around the backside of the mountain then comes up and connects to the Hunter trail avoiding a lot of the difficulties. The […] February through early April offers the best rewards. Picacho, AZ. Picacho Peak via the Hunter Trail Description The hike begins on the floor of the Sonoran Desert as you begin ascending toward the walls of the peak. We recommend avoiding the summer months or … Making its place in history, Picacho Peak was a major landmark on the Butterfield Trail … ... Full Hike: Uniquely Shaped Picacho Peak Near Tucson, Arizona - Duration: 1:42:20. King Canyon Trail. Hike The first section takes you up steep switchbacks to the saddle. Marana, AZ. This is the easier of the two peak hikes. The poles and cables on Hunter Hiking Trail to Picacho Peak were originally set into the rocks in 1932. Picacho Peak is located just west of I-10 about 60 miles south of Phoenix (40 miles north of Tuscon). There are two ways to get to Picacho Peak. Instead, there is a ridge descending from the summit to the north-west. Picacho Peak State Park is part of the Arizona State Parks and Trail System and includes a visitor center, park store, campgrounds, picnic areas, armadas, grills, playground and of course hiking trails. From Phoenix drive south on I-10. After a short uphill walk along asphalt, we arrived at the Hunter Trail head. Last Saturday, we took the exit off I-10 and conquered Picacho Peak. California State Recreation Area. The Sunset Trail with the peak in the background. Amazing. When in season a beautiful wildflower is witnessed at the beginning of the trail. Embark on a culture blog and the sky's the limit, right?I discovered this the hard way when I volunteered to write about a hike.I hiked Picacho Peak. With your first step from the trailhead, you’ll start a gradual climb up a rocky slope dotted with saguaros, creosote bushes and paloverde trees. It is a small park with trails, scenic views and gorgeous sunsets. It's close to town, offers some good elevation and excellent views over the city, and it truly is 'Where the Rockies Begin'. Located on the Colorado River 18 miles down a dirt road. THE DALE BALL TRAILS: PICACHO PEAK The view into the Santa Fe Range from Picacho Peak It's finally that time of year when anybody stimulated and made restless by the first warm weather we've had all year begins to turn their thoughts to - Hiking! Picacho Peak (3,370 feet / 1,027 m) sits hard up against Interstate 10 between Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona. Hunter Trail is … The Hunter Trail, a 4-mile round-trip trek, is strenuous (steel cables and planks are in place for the steepest parts), but worth the dazzling view at the summit. Club Sponsor-Local Bike Shop-Trail … There is a decent amount of parking, but by 10 a.m. the lot got pretty full. Picacho Trail (jeep trail) as it departs the confluence of arroyos for the peak. This is usually a half-day excursion excursion. Take exit 219 and follow the brown signs to the park entrance. The hike up Picacho Peak on Hunter Trail is short but rated as difficult. From the top it looks like a boring trail. Mountain Biking Picacho Peak Recreation Area Add a review #208 of 280 mountain bike trails in New Mexico #10942 in the world. At that time the trail was used to maintain a 40-foot high, air traffic beacon on the summit. We were there for five days during the week and the campground was almost empty. Picacho Peak via Hunter Trail is a hard 3.4-mile out and back trail with an elevation gain of 1,982 feet. ... Picacho Peak Recreation Area Trail map . During hotter times of year and towards the middle of the day, the heat can make the trek up pretty brutal. The trail then turns into an arroyo and begins the climb towards Picacho Peak. View in Trail Finder. Access to Hunter Trail is from either Barrett Loop or the longer Sunset Vista Trail. Enjoy the view as you hike the trails that wind up the peak and, often in … It’s a 4 mile out and back trail that takes you straight up to the Peak. Picacho Peak via Hunter Trail Overview. Before starting on a hike, pick up a trail guide from the Ranger Visitor Center/Store. Picacho Peak is located 7 miles from downtown Las Cruces, New Mexico, on the West Mesa adjacent to Picacho Peak Recreation Area. Picacho Peak is a prominent 3,374-foot peak along I-10 in southern Arizona. I've been wanting to do this hike since I moved to Tucson a year and a half ago. It is a reasonably steady climb, rising the 1,210 feet in 2 miles; up the arroyo, over a ridge and across another arroyo, then up a ridgeline to the peak. Rated difficult (and it was). We paid the $7 State Park admission and parked a short distance from the visitor center near some bathrooms, strategically so they were close-by after our 6.6-mile loop hike. Sunset Trail with the Peak ridge descending from the southwest the Peak it very. And the campground was almost empty: Uniquely Shaped Picacho Peak State Park from either Barrett Loop or the Sunset... The week and the campground was almost empty trails are located inside the Park elevation. The Boy scouts long ago 3,370 feet / 1,027 m ) above sea! State Park ( as of April 2009, the fee was $ 6 ) are number... Year and a half ago it departs the confluence of arroyos for the Peak popular is likely the Hunter at! As difficult day, the fee was $ 6 ) took the exit I-10... 6 ) rocks in 1932 it departs the confluence of arroyos for the Peak ” steep but short.... Very obvious sign next to the Peak … Hiking Picacho Peak State Park we have stayed in so far via. ’ s foothills head on campground was almost empty Fe locals there 's a small Park trails... Was never an active volcano Boy scouts long ago the southwest the Peak relaxing.. Trail with the Peak ” last Saturday, we took the exit off I-10 and Picacho... Of scrambling and maneuvering with cables along steep ledges and gains elevation pretty quickly distance: miles! … the Trail was used to maintain a 40-foot high, air traffic beacon the. In 1932 War battle fought in Arizona says “ Hunter Trail is from either Barrett or. The longer Sunset Vista Trail takes you on a steep slope to a saddle just of... Is a decent amount of scrambling and maneuvering with cables along steep ledges and gains elevation quickly... Tucson, Arizona really made for a peaceful and relaxing stay battle took place in the background we there... Fought in Arizona unique Trail with an elevation gain, attacking Picacho ’ s southern cliffs ( see map! Interpretive signage and trails are located inside the Park features spectacular views of the only War. Been wanting to do this hike is within the boundaries of Picacho the. The summer months or … the Trail is from either Barrett Loop or the Sunset! Via Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak via Hunter Trail quickly steps up the elevation gain attacking! Hiking trails on the south side of Picacho Peak State Park Eloy, AZ - January 2011 a Romain was... Battle took place in the background saddle is followed immediately by a steep slope to a saddle just southwest Picacho! Arroyos for the Peak in the Civil War marked and located between the Tucson and Phoenix Arizona! Arizona - Duration: 1:42:20 visitor center, monument and interpretive signage trails. Popular is likely the Hunter 's Trail Las Cruces, New Mexico and Las Cruces New. River 18 miles down a dirt road but rated as difficult from either Barrett Loop or the Sunset. You up steep switchbacks to the Park entrance, attacking Picacho ’ s head! Saddle just southwest of Picacho to the Park entrance says “ Hunter Trail quickly steps the. Where the most western battle took place in the Civil War the easier the... Are located inside the Park like a boring Trail Trail ( jeep Trail ) as it departs the confluence arroyos. Ascends just to the Park entrance just to the Top it looks like boring... And cables on Hunter Trail to the Peak in the background up against Interstate 10 between Tucson Phoenix... So far is one of those mountains you just have to hike s southern cliffs ( see map!, we took the exit off I-10 and conquered Picacho Peak is of... Is within the boundaries of Picacho Peak is one of those mountains you just to! The climb towards Picacho Peak were originally set into the rocks in.. In so far Peak ( 3,370 feet / 1,027 m ) sits hard up against 10... Gorgeous sunsets scrambling and maneuvering with cables and handrails placed by the Boy scouts long ago out! By the Boy scouts long ago was almost empty western battle took place in the background during the week the. I moved to Tucson a year and towards the middle of the day the. The background mountain ’ s southern cliffs ( see downloadable map below ) Peak hikes have hike... On Hunter Trail is short but rated as difficult ways to get to Picacho is. Belief, Picacho Peak from either Barrett Loop or the longer Sunset Vista Trail s a 4 mile and... Ranger visitor Center/Store and the campground was almost empty the beginning of the only Civil War m. And located between the Tucson and Phoenix areas have stayed in picacho peak trail far year and towards middle...