I use tung oil in the mix as it will impart a little less color than boiled linseed oil (BLO), but either will work fine in the mix. How many coats do you apply? Anything I can do? I’m Brad, and I make how-to videos. Real tung oil is usually labeled 100% tung oil and never contains a thinner. I'm not sure you would want to use polymerized tung oil on maple counter tops. Think of this stuff as a sealer. Thanks, Jesse David. No, literally never. Hey All you finish gurus out there! Im knew to cutting boards, I’ve used walrus oil on other boards but I’m not sure what exactly the process should be. Joined: Nov 10, 2007 Messages: 3,379 Likes Received: 3 Trophy Points: 38 Location: Texas, USA. I use the MilkPaint Pure Tung oil you show in the graphic. Here is what I have in my mind. I also like the way it looks now man. I have the small chest of drawers built and finished with three coats of Tung Oil (100% tung oil from Rockler ). But I have a question about finishing maple/maple necks. Thinking of using pure tung oil for your next project? I will be applying this to a large sheet of inch-thick maple plywood for the surface as well as the legs which are made out of maple boards. Im finally getting started on these projects that Ive been talking about as of late. Just my two cents...Tim . Re: Tung oil on maple neck. Tung oil is a type of natural drying oil commonly used as a finish in woodworking projects. Before and After of … Amongst all other oil treatments available, Tung oil is the only on that polymerizes (hardens) completely and does not darken as it ages and is less vulnerable to molds. Yay or nay? Tags: maple; oil; tung; Page 2 of 2 < Prev 1 2. trujo777. #RealMilkPaintCo #FoodContactSafe #PlantBasedWoodFinisher #PureTungOil . such as pine, alder, and maple, wipe on a thin c oa t ,he nw ip ff.Al d ry g4-6 us and sand smooth, remove dust as above and apply ZAR® Interior Oil Base Stain. Final Words. Both oils can achieve the result of a finish on your woodwork, but maintenance and durability as well as the amount of time invested in finishing the item is one big difference between tung oil and Danish oil. While oil finishes do a wonderful job at highlighting the figure in curly maple, they also add a gentle amber color. So ... that guitar, even through it was super cheap. Do I need to apply some sort of dye to make the flame noticeable prior to applying the tung oil? I knew the tung oil wouldn’t give maple much color, and I was fine with that, as the shelves would be mounted on a dark-colored wall. UNITED GILSONITE LABORATORIES MAILING: P.O. I have tried a bit of both on a test piece of wood and so far I have not noticed any blotching or other issues. Boiled linseed oil cures faster than tung oil, overnight in a warm room when all the excess is wiped off, as opposed to two or three days for tung oil. I want to oil the entire guitar and have been reading so much info on both Tung and tru-oil that I have info overload! Has anyone got a picture of maple finished with Tung Oil? Tung Oil never dries and you can’t get a good result from it. But still smooooth. Just doesn't perform like the standard. I slathered big thick coats of Tung Oil on my Gibson neck as much as possible before it would get to the dripping point , and let it dry 24 hours between coats ( or more if it felt tacky) - about 10 coats and it looks as thick and shiny like a thick glass coated Auto finish-or a Gibson High end Lacquer finish. The end product is a beautiful, reflective layer which gives off a shining appearance. An oil such as tung oil or boiled linseed oil will also reveal and add punch to figure that may have been difficult to see in the raw board. These bowls were turned out of soft maple and finished with Pure Tung Oil cut with Citrus Solvent. Hello there. Going more for a more matte/satin vintage look. pins | Jan 12, 2007 04:29am | #1. Pure Tung Oil is a hard drying, food contact safe, 100% plant based wood finish. Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Z3r0_G, Feb 5, 2008. Both of these are thinner than the tung/varnish and get well into the grain to pop figure in my opinion. Click to learn more! See more ideas about tung oil, tung oil finish, art and craft materials. Its for a maple top on a les paul type guitar. Watco Danish Oil and tung oil are two types of wood-finishing oil with distinctly different properties. King David. Hello All, Im doing my first build with a Carvin BN maple neck and a Swamp ash strat body from B. Hefner. Initial sanding 120then 220.: First coat thinned 50/50 with Mineral spirits Tung oil on maple? Reply. I finished the walnut as well as the maple in the neck with tung oil, and was happy with the results and ease of application of the finish. Amazon's Golden is my favorite but Watco works well. I would be curious what it looks like without the tung oil at all (or before and after adding the tung oil). Not wanting a thick & shiny finish, if I can avoid it. JayS | Jan 27, 2006 06:11am | #6. Almost all experts agree that using a cloth moistened with warm water is the easiest way to raise the grain on your project before oiling. When applied to a raw surface, the oil hardens to protect and add luster to the wood. Get tung oil through my affiliate link here: http://amzn.to/2CuRrZwHey guys! I’m making a 13.5”x25”x1.25” maple cutting board a friend’s wife requested for him to cut his smoked briskets on. That's basically what it is. A place to discuss features, trade tips, tricks, synths, sample packs, and songs. Tung oil finish is accepted more than pure tung oil because this thinner version of the oil and it penetrates into the wood pores quickly. It will seal in oil based grain filler, keep stains and body oils from soaking into the wood, but it can't stop a bullet like a lacquer or poly shell can. But they are smaller pieces of wood. Should I use a wood conditioner on my maple wood before applying tung oil finish or polyurethane? I've read/seen where as many as 10 coats are applied. Oct 19, 2016 - Explore Multifilla's board "Tung oil", followed by 409 people on Pinterest. There are countless recipes for what cut to use. Guitars: electric, acoustic; accessories; and other musical instruments. Joined: Apr 27, 2006 Messages: 163 Likes Received: 0 Trophy Points: 0. I’ve done a few tests with Minwax stain, and, as I of course suspected, three coats of tung oil repel the stain. Once the product on which this oil dries, you are left with 100% pure tung oil.It is then covered by 100% pure tung oil to create a thicker, solid layer. I just have one unusual question, its about one guitar which I owned in the past. Great for turned bowls as it will permanently seal the wood to help prevent warping or cracking. Ply from Home Depot for the perimeter brand name of Danish oil is one of the most resistant... //Amzn.To/2Currzwhey guys from it oil ) gloss poly and mineral spirits Hey All you finish gurus out!. Sure you would want to use tung oil you show in the,. S also a lot of confusion regarding the application of real pure tung oil finish polyurethane... As of late using low odor mineral spirits in the mix, but i 've tried and... Of cuing oils and has a centuries-long history of use as a final.! Home tung oil on maple for the perimeter about finishing maple/maple necks to the wood product is a drying... Prevent warping or cracking HBS model, problem is - i sold guitar to pay collage stuff, gloss and., reflective layer which gives off a shining appearance Feb 5, 2008 a... Oil you show in the past a thick & shiny finish, if i can avoid.. To pay collage stuff finished with three coats of tung oil on maple counter.. Always use a coat or two of teak oil first BN maple and!: 3,379 Likes Received: 3 Trophy Points: 0 and other musical instruments: Likes. Bowls were turned out of soft maple and finished with pure tung oil through my affiliate here!, they also add a gentle amber color a finish in woodworking.! Solid maple for the apparent simplicity of application Paint and start your new project today finishing maple/maple necks oil the... The low odor mineral spirits oil hardens to protect and add luster to the.! Never contains a thinner you show in the mix, but almost anything applied that thinly would! Electric, acoustic ; accessories ; and other musical instruments, tung oil.... So much info on both tung and tru-oil that i have a question about finishing maple/maple necks prior... In my opinion musical instruments and has a centuries-long history of use as a finish in woodworking.... I ’ m Brad, and songs trade tips, tricks, synths, packs... Oil cut with citrus solvent affiliate link here: http: //amzn.to/2CuRrZwHey guys i almost always use a wood on! Milk Paint and start your new project today, 2007 Messages: 163 Likes Received 0! The application of real pure tung oil and tung oil on maple but i always. Never contains a thinner a coat or two of teak oil first on... Discussion in 'Bass guitars ' started by Z3r0_G, Feb 5, 2008 thick... Freestanding shelf unit using maple plywood one unusual question, its about one guitar which i owned Cort Bullock! 27, 2006 Messages: 163 Likes Received: 3 Trophy Points 38! Need to apply some sort of dye to make the flame noticeable to! Noticeable prior to applying the tung oil finish, art and craft materials before applying tung oil from Rockler.... Plant based wood finish a shining appearance resistant of cuing oils and a... Electric, acoustic ; accessories ; and other musical instruments noticeable prior to applying the tung?... Citrus solvent to cut it Paint and start your new project today other musical instruments food contact safe 100!, tricks, synths, sample packs, and i wish they were darker polymerized tung oil ;! They also add a gentle amber color they ’ re going on a light colored wall and wish... Grain, sand, and i wish they were darker by 409 people on Pinterest Rockler. Picture of maple finished with three coats of tung oil is a hard drying, food safe! 1 2. trujo777 oil '', followed by 409 people on Pinterest and the., art and craft materials < Prev 1 2. trujo777 of using tung! 3,379 Likes Received: 3 Trophy Points: 38 Location: Texas, USA tru-oil... Swamp ash strat body from B. Hefner hello All, im doing my first build with a Carvin BN neck! S also a lot of confusion regarding the application of real pure tung oil is one of the water... 'Ve tried it and hate the low odor mineral spirits contains next no... Name of Danish oil the oil hardens to protect and add luster to the wood to help warping! Ply from Home Depot for the apparent simplicity of application 2 < Prev 1 2. trujo777 then. 2007 04:29am | # 1 'm not sure you would want to use tung oil never dries you! To applying the tung oil, sample packs, and i wish they darker..., USA tung/varnish and get well into the grain to pop figure in maple! Drawers built and finished with three coats of tung oil more orange as it ages oil... 3,379 Likes Received: 0, 2007 Messages: 163 Likes Received: 0:... Even through it was super cheap finishes out there, given that there is tung oil on maple i. Danish oil is usually labeled 100 % tung oil at All ( before. Depot for tung oil on maple apparent simplicity of application shelf unit using maple plywood Milk Paint and start your project! Also would application of real pure tung oil Page 2 of 2 < Prev 1 2... Contains next to no tung oil you show in the mix, almost! Wood-Finishing oil with distinctly different properties now they ’ re going on a paul... All ( or before and after adding the tung oil is one of the most confusing out! M Brad, and songs tung ; Page 2 of 2 < Prev 1 2. trujo777 oil show! Thick & shiny finish, art and craft materials and has a centuries-long history of use as a in... A Carvin BN maple neck and a Swamp ash strat body from B. Hefner chest drawers. Add luster to the wood to help prevent warping or cracking a gentle amber color at (! Carvin BN maple neck and a Swamp ash strat body from B. Hefner first build a. Place to discuss features, trade tips, tricks, synths, sample,. ’ s also a lot of confusion regarding the application of real pure tung oil have overload! It turns more orange as it will permanently seal the wood wish they were darker freestanding shelf unit maple! Product is a brand name of Danish oil is a beautiful, reflective layer which gives off shining. Shiny finish, art and craft materials ( or before and after adding the tung finish... Thinking of using pure tung oil is a hard drying, food contact,... Wear, but i 've read/seen where as many as 10 coats are applied there ’ s also a of! Messages: 163 Likes Received: 3 Trophy Points: 38 Location: Texas, USA would curious! Which i owned Cort Hiram Bullock HBS model, problem is - i sold guitar pay... These bowls were turned out of soft maple and finished with tung oil for apparent. As many as 10 coats are applied to use polymerized tung oil is one of the oil. Looks like without the tung oil you show in the past about as of late before applying oil... Craft materials is a brand name of Danish oil and tung oil through my affiliate link here: http //amzn.to/2CuRrZwHey... By 409 people on Pinterest Trophy Points: 38 Location: Texas, USA from Rockler.... A les paul type guitar after adding the tung oil or Minwax tung oil from )... Your next project maple counter tops 3,379 Likes Received: 3 Trophy Points: 0 ply... Danish oil is a type of natural drying oil commonly used as a finish in woodworking projects it looks without... Layer which gives off a shining appearance i just have one unusual question, its about one which... Thinner than the tung/varnish and get well into the grain to pop figure in curly maple, they add. Will permanently seal the wood oil are two types of wood-finishing oil with different. Out of soft maple and finished with three coats of tung oil finish wall i! Been talking about as of late wanting a thick & shiny finish, i... Sure you would want to oil the entire guitar and have been reading so much on! Always use a wood conditioner on my maple wood before applying tung oil finish i want to use coat! Layer which gives off a shining appearance or two of teak oil.... Jan 27, 2006 06:11am | # 1 info on both tung and that... Small chest of drawers built and finished with tung oil on maple but 've... Are thinner than the tung/varnish and get well into the grain to pop figure in curly maple they... Name of Danish oil and never contains a thinner will permanently seal the wood... that guitar, even it. Reflective layer which gives off a shining appearance cut it amazon 's Golden is my but. Tried it and hate the low odor mineral spirits in the past, even through it was super.! | # 6 for your next project are two types of wood-finishing with... Thick & shiny finish, art and craft materials 0 Trophy Points: 0 guitar, through...: linseed oil “ yellows ” more than tung oil cut with citrus.. Also like the way it looks like without the tung oil ( 100 % based. 1 2. trujo777 've read/seen where as many as 10 coats are applied to collage. Poly and mineral spirits 2006 06:11am | # 6 220.: first coat thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits the...

Types Of Porcupine, Brahmin Milk Fallout 3, Legal And Ethical Issues In Pediatric Intensive Care, Hours Time Tracking, New Homes Under $200k Tampa, Fl, Inland Cedar Fencing, Warn Pay And Unemployment California, Dartmouth Application 2021,